Motherhood is no walk in the park and any new mom past or present can agree to that. There is so much to learn and do that sometimes you feel that your village may not even be enough.
Well, we have just discovered an amazing place that offers that support that many new moms may need and that is The Mama Coach in Toronto.
The Mama Coach is a team of Registered Nurses and Nurse Practitioners who are committed to making motherhood easier. Their programs are based on science, empathy, and support. It is that extra village that every new mom should have by her side.
We got to interview Yvonne who leads the Mama Coach in Toronto to get more info on this prestigious organization.
Tell me a little bit about yourself.
My name is Yvonne Chan and I am the owner of The Mama Coach in Toronto. I am a prenatal educator, sleep consultant, lactation counselor, HSF certified CPR instructor, a Registered Nurse and a mom of two happy little ones!
I love staying active by playing in various sports, traveling the world with my family, and raising my kids to be kind and happy people.
Tell me a little about the Mama Coach. Why did you start it?
I love teaching, helping others, and have always wanted to be an entrepreneur. Becoming a Mama Coach gives me a unique opportunity that allows me to do something I am really passionate about: helping new moms be the best they can be while leveraging my nursing degree and experience as a mom. Additionally, being a business owner allows me the flexibility to optimize my work and family life.
There are so many reasons I wanted to bring The Mama Coach to Toronto. The thing that excites me the most about being a Mama Coach is being part of a group that is the best of the best in the field. I found my values and way of thinking aligned very accurately with the philosophy of the Founder of The Mama Coach, Carrie Bruno. The Mama Coach is a nationwide group of Registered Nurses who work independently with families to provide support through education. Our mission is to make motherhood easier!
Could you provide a quick breakdown of some of the services you offer?
We offer sleep consultation packages, lactation support packages, prenatal classes, and CPR workshops and certification classes. All services are done in the privacy of your home! We come to you!
More than sleep packages include:
- 1.5 hours of in-home visit by a Registered Nurse with a complete head to toe assessment on baby to make sure there is no underlying medical issue that is affecting sleep or feeds. All visits also include feeding assessment (breast feeding, bottle feeling, or solid foods feeding).
- Customized sleep plan.
- Unlimited support from a Registered Nurse for two weeks from the day the sleep plan is implemented. You will have an RN available daily to answer any questions and to provide guidance via email and 4 scheduled phone calls throughout the two weeks.
- The Mama Coach eBook for sleep.
- Add on services: Bedtime support (3 hours in person support at bedtime), a half-night support (in person support from bedtime to midnight), full night support (bedtime to 7 am).
Lactation and feeding support packages include:
- 1 in home visit and 1 week of unlimited email support.
- The Mama Coach eBook on feeding
- 60 to 80 minutes in-home CPR and Choking workshop.
- The Mama Coach eBook on Infant and Child CPR and safety.
Prenatal classes include:
- 3 hours in-home session.
- Email support until birth.
- The Mama Coach prenatal guide.
- Add-on: Total Support Package (1 postpartum in-home visit and 1 in-home visit at 5 weeks, 8 phone calls and 8 weeks of email support after birth).
Everyone says that some babies are just bad sleepers. Is that a myth? How can a parent really know that there might be a sleeping problem?
I believe that is a myth because sleep is a learned skill. We can’t just lay our babies down and expect them to know what to do. Parents can “teach” babies how to sleep with our gentle programs and guide them in learning a healthy life skill.
We believe that a baby’s sleep patterns are not a problem unless it’s a problem for you. We have a no judgement zone at The Mama Coach.
We love how your services are tailored to each specific child as we all know each child is different. Are there any general tips you can offer to parents who are struggling to get their child to sleep through the night?
The Mama Coach 5 Sleep Tips eBook has some general tips to parents who are struggling to get their child to sleep.
- Sleep environment: Melatonin plays a key role in keeping our babies asleep and a dark sleep environment leads to more production of this amazing hormone.
- Awake times:
- Birth to 10 weeks (45 – 60 mins)
- 11 weeks to 3.5 months (2 – 2.5 hrs) – 4 to 5 naps
- 5 to 5 months (2 – 2.5 hrs) – 4 naps
- 5 to 7 months (2.5 – 3 hrs) – 3 naps
- 8 to 13 months (3 – 4 hrs) – 2 naps
- 14 months to 3 years (4 – 5 hrs) – 1 nap
- The golden ticket always lies with bedtime. Night sleep and day sleep are governed by different parts of your babies’ brain. Create a consistent bedtime routine.
- Eliminating sleep props for night wake-ups: infants and children rouse on average four to six times per night, with brief awakenings at the end of each sleep cycle. Teaching babies to fall back to sleep on their own without a sleep prop they will be able to fall right into their next stage of sleep.
- Milestones and regressions: Developmental milestones can interfere with sleep. We recommend lots of skill practice during non-sleep times.
Send me an email at firstname.lastname@example.org to get your FREE copy of The Mama Coach 5 sleep tips eBook!
Since you have started The Mama Coach what has been your most memorable success story?
I find everyone of my client’s success story to be unique and memorable. The story that stands out the most to me is with a second time mom who contacted me for help with her five-month old baby. This mom has a three-year-old and a five-month old. Mom used one of the many sleep plans that were available on the internet with her first baby and that baby slept and fed beautifully. She tried to implement the same strategies with her second baby to get this baby to feed and sleep but this baby just wasn’t having it. Baby had reflux (feeds would take 40+ minutes plus 20 minutes keeping baby upright). Baby was waking up frequently at night for feeds, and was hard to settle during the day. Mom was feeling anxious and a bit deflated that her strategy for the 1st wasn’t working for the 2nd.
I built a customized plan for this family, gave the baby a head to toe nursing assessment, assessed a feed, showed and educated mom on improving the latch and positioning of the baby during feeds to improve reflux during my in-home visit. Once we improved feeds, we worked on sleep and by the 3rd night of starting the plan, baby was feeding and sleeping well. We made some tweaks along the way but by the end of our two weeks together, this baby was taking three solid naps, dropped the night feeds on her own and everybody got the sleep they so well deserved. By the end of our time together – mom felt confident, rested, and happy!
This success story demonstrates that every baby is different. We look at the whole picture to come up with an individualized plan that works for you and your baby! The start and finish line (goal) are set but the journey will be different for everyone. I know where we are starting, I know where we are going to finish but I don’t know what is going to happen in-between. We don’t use a cookie cutter method. We are nurses and use our assessment skills throughout the process.
What we tell parents is not a secret. Anyone can read books, find plans on the internet, etc. What I give parents is support all the way through and I give Moms in-person feeding support which they won’t be able to get from a book.
I am so thankful for all the opportunities to be part of so many families success story.
Where would you like to see The Mama Coach in the next five years?
I would like to see The Mama Coach be the go-to-choice for making motherhood easier and baby sleep throughout Toronto and the GTA!
If someone is interested in utilizing your services, how can they go about accessing them?
They can book their initial free phone call online.
Additionally, all our services are available virtually on a video HIPAA-compliant Telehealth platform.
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with some great insight on The Mama Coach. Is there anything else you would like to add?
Thank you, Momma Braga, for this opportunity to share information about The Mama Coach. Finding sleep for our babies can be so challenging. I believe in finding a solution that works for the entire family. If you are ready to make change for better sleep, let’s set up a time to chat! Please go to this link to book a time that works for you. The sooner we get started, the sooner we can get your sweet baby sleeping and feeding great!
Thinking back to five years ago when I had my daughter, Nikki, I could have truly benefited from these services. Unfortunately, I did not know about them and this is why it is important that I share these amazing resources with my wonderful readers.
When I had the opportunity to interview The Mama Coach, I knew I had to jump on it! A place that offers sleep tips is a superb place to me as a happy baby is definitely a happy mommy!
We hope we will feature more on The Mama Coach and if you have any questions, feel free to comment below or send us an email at email@example.com as we would love to hear from you. You can stay anonymous too! 😊
Until next time…Happy Parenting!