Bifanas is a popular dish in the Portuguese community and I learned how to make it recently with my mom. To my surprise it was really simple and didn’t take too long to make. Normally this dish is done using pork but we use beef instead.
I know that simple and easy to do dishes is always ideal for families and hopefully you will all enjoy this as much as we do.
- Beef (Thin cut is best)
- 3 onions
- Red Pepper (or Green or Yellow)
- Tablespoon of butter
- Tomato Sauce
- Black Pepper
- Garlic Powder
- Half cup of wine
- Half cup of water
- Marinate your beef prior to cooking. I usually do this the night before to have the beef soak in the juices for more flavor.
- Wash beefs well.
- Place beefs in a bowl and add the following ingredients; salt, black pepper, garlic powder, paprika, half cup of wine and half cup of water. Measurements for the ingredients are based on what you normally use in your meat marinating.
- Leave the beef covered and in the fridge for the next day cooking.
- The following day you can start cutting up your onions and bell peppers to be cooked which will be used in the sandwiches.
- In a pot add the onions, bell peppers and the beef (without the sauce that it was in). Also add a tablespoon of butter.
- Let it cook and stir as its cooking.
- Once it is cooked, add your favourite tomato sauce and let simmer for 5 minutes.
- After the 5 minutes, it is ready to be served.
- Take buns and place the beef, onions and bell peppers in them.
And there you have it, bifanas in the simplest way! Give it a try and let me know what you think of it!
Until next time…Happy Parenting!
– Momma Braga