Mediterranean cuisine is a style of cooking that originated in the countries bordering the Mediterranean Sea, such as Spain, Italy, Greece and Morocco. It is characterized by the use of fresh and healthy ingredients, such as vegetables, fruits, fish, olive oil and aromatic herbs. In addition, it also focuses on simple preparation and valuing the natural flavors of food. The Mediterranean diet has been proven to be beneficial as a healthy and balanced diet.
Orzo is a common ingredient in Mediterranean cuisine. It is used in many traditional dishes, such as salads, soups and stews. It is appreciated for its smooth texture and ability to absorb flavors, making it a versatile addition to many Mediterranean recipes.
Fine-tuning orzo as an ingredient
Orzo is a type of pasta made from wheat semolina and has a shape similar to a grain of rice. It is also known as “hordeum” in Latin, which is why it is known by the Italian name orzo. It is a healthy food rich in carbohydrates, widely used in the cuisine of Italy, Greece and Turkey.
Orzo can be cooked in a variety of ways, including steaming or frying in oil, with the boiled version being the most common. Each different way of cooking gives a different flavor to each dish.
The way to cook orzo with boiled water, like pasta, is as follows:
- Place a large pot with water and salt over medium-high heat until boiling.
- Add the orzo to the water in the pot and cook until cooked but still firm, always following the package directions.
- Drain the pasta and drizzle with oil or butter to prevent the grains from sticking.
Once ready it can be combined with different flavors and seasonings. If you do not know how or where to get this product you can consult the following link: https://riceselect.com/product/orzo.
Recipes with unforgettable flavors of your own
Mediterranean orzo salad
This is a very simple dish to make and serves as a side dish as well as a main course in a light dinner.
- 2 cups cooked orzo pasta
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 1/4 cup sliced green olives stuffed with bell bell pepper and kalamatas
- 1/4 cup red onion
- Chopped fresh parsley, to taste
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano.
- Salt and pepper, to taste.
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese.
- In a large bowl, toss the cooked orzo pasta with the olive oil and vinegar.
- Add the olives, red onion, fresh parsley, oregano, salt and pepper, and toss until combined.
- Serve on a bed of lettuce and sprinkle with crumbled feta cheese.
Orzo with scallops
One of the Mediterranean specialties, seafood paired with a delicious serving of orzo.
- 1 lb of fresh scallops.
- 1 cup of cooked orzo.
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil.
- 2 cloves of garlic, chopped.
- 1 cup of fish or poultry broth.
- Juice and zest of 1 lemon.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley.
- Clean the scallops and cut off any nerves. Set aside.
- Cook the orzo according to the instructions above and also set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the garlic and scallops and cook until golden brown, about 2 to 3 minutes per side.
- Add the fish or poultry stock and bring to a boil. Lower the heat to medium and let the scallops cook until tender, about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Stir in the lemon juice and zest, add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve scallops on a bed of orzo and sprinkle with chopped fresh parsley.
This is a basic soup with this ingredient. Prepare it and enjoy it with the family:
- 1 onion.
- 2 cloves of garlic.
- 2 carrots
- 2 celery sticks.
- 2 potatoes.
- 1 cup of orzo.
- 1 liter of vegetable broth.
- Olive oil.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Cut the onion, garlic, carrots, celery and potatoes into small cubes.
- In a large pot, heat a little olive oil and add the onion, garlic, carrots, celery and potatoes. Sauté until soft.
- Add the cup of orzo and stir to mix with the vegetables.
- Add vegetable broth and simmer over medium heat until orzo is tender.
- Adjust the flavor with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve hot.
Now is the time to test your zuppa. Try new recipes and create your own gastronomic experience with this special ingredient.