The beauty of recipes is the variations that can be done with them. This is why I love sharing the way my family makes some traditional Portuguese dishes as every family does it a little different but all still so great.
One of my favorite soups growing up is Canja da Galinha which is Chicken Soup. It is perfect for a cold winter’s day and it is just so very yummy! My mom just made this recently and it made me remember some great childhood memories. So I asked her to share her recipe and she was delighted to share it with all of you.
As I was writing my mom’s instructions I realized how simple this soup was to make and will be giving it a try myself very soon.
Canja Da Galinha (Portuguese Chicken Soup) Recipe
- Boneless and Skinless Chicken Breast
- 1 Chicken Bouillon Cube
- Onion (Chopped into quarters)
- Olive Oil
- Long Grain Rice (usually 1 – 2 cups, depending on how much you want to make)
- Fill a pot with water and add the boneless and skinless chicken breasts.
- Once the chicken is cooked. Remove from the water and with a knife cut up the chicken breasts into shredded pieces.
- In a new pot, fill it with at least 3 cups of water.
- Add some salt, onion (in quarters), 1 chicken bouillon cube, olive oil and the long grain rice.
- Stir the ingredients in the pot under medium heat.
- Once the rice is expanded and tender, add the cooked chicken breast.
- Stir one last time and close the heat.
- Optional: There are other ingredients that you can add into the soup and to each their own. 😉 We have added some chicken giblets and gizzards into the soup as well and it has been delish!
And there you have it, Portuguese Chicken Soup! Such a quick and simple way to a nice soup for those cold crisp days. Give it a try and let me know what you think of it!
Until next time…Happy Parenting!
– Momma Braga
Special Thank You To Our Article Sponsor: