For a long time now, I have been looking for dessert recipes. But not any dessert recipes; I want different, healthy, and easy ones. It was an arduous task but not impossible.
I was in the supermarket and saw two ladies talking about the different types of rice and which was the best for making a dish.
I was interested because they said words like desserts, easy, and fast. That it is, I need to learn how to make desserts using rice.
My findings were greatly surprising. I know rice was the preferred staple in the entire world. What I did not know is the number of dishes that can be prepared at home with it, including the various sugary preparations.
Rice: an incredible ingredient
It fits all my requirements of a healthy, different and easy.
Rice is a nutritious grain full of minerals, proteins, and minerals. Besides, it is sugar-free, cholesterol-free, sodium-free, fat-free, and gluten-free. What else can I ask for this staple?
It helps with the work of our nervous system and digestive system. It stops stomach problems like diarrhea or constipation. In addition, it is used for losing weight and preventing heart disease.
Cooking rice does not imply any effort or time. Its versatility makes it possible to prepare different dishes each time just by changing ingredients.
Furthermore, leftover rice can be used to make more delicious dishes. So, rice is a star: fast and easy to cook, adaptable, affordable, and profitable.
My choices for rice desserts
I know how to cook rice. I cook it sometimes during the week. I did not have tried any rice recipes for making sugary dishes.
Making rice desserts is not so different from regular dishes.
I found thousands of recipes. Here is my list of the dishes I will try at home:
- Rice pudding: This is the ultimate comfort dessert. It is a creamy and delicious dish with rice, milk, sugar, and cinnamon. There are many versions of rice pudding. Some of them are easy and fast and made with leftover rice. Healthy variations include brown rice for additional nutritious components, sweeteners, and different types of milk like almonds or coconut milk. If these types of rice pudding attract your attention, check this link https://mahatmarice.com/recipes/easy-coconut-rice/ and learn how to make an exquisite rice pudding with coconut milk. Rice pudding is versatile; you can top it with different ingredients and create mouthwatering dishes. Include jam, whipped cream, chocolate chips, or your favorite fruit.
- Sweet tamales: I have eaten tamales, but not sweet tamales. They are a Mexican dessert with sweet masa corn dough filled with fruits, nuts, and other sweet fillings. Traditional fillings include raisins, pineapples, rice pudding, fruit preserves, and dulce de leche.
- Rice cake: You cannot imagine the different versions of rice cakes. One version that attracts my attention is the baked coconut sticky rice cake. It is a traditional dish eaten for Chinese New Year.
It has sticky rice flour, coconut milk, sugar, olive oil, and almond extract. This is my choice for making my first rice desert:
- 16 ounces of sweet rice flour.
- 2¼ cups of granulated sugar.
- ¼ cup of brown sugar.
- ½ teaspoon of kosher salt.
- 1⅓ cups of whole milk.
- 1⅔ cups of unsweetened full-fat coconut milk.
- 4 large eggs.
- 3 tablespoons of unsalted butter.
- ½ teaspoon of almond extract.
- ¼ teaspoon of vanilla extract.
- ¼ cup of toasted sweetened flaked coconut.
- 3 tablespoons of toasted sliced almonds.
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Prepare a cake pan, and spray it with baking spray and flour.
- Place a parchment paper at the bottom of the pan, and add more spray to the parchment.
- Combine rice flour, granulated and brown sugar, and salt in a bowl. Reserve.
- Mix in another bowl whole milk, coconut milk, beaten eggs, melted butter, almond extract, and vanilla extract.
- Add this liquid mixture to the flour. Stir very well. The final mixture must be thin.
- Put a fine-mesh sieve in a bowl to strain the prepared mixture.
- Pour the mixture into a bowl with the mesh.
- Add the final smooth mixture to the cake pan.
- Bake for 55 minutes and incorporate sweetened flaked coconut and toasted sliced almonds. Bake for 40 more minutes.
- Let it cool.
- Invert the cake on a flat plate.
And there you have it, Momma Braga rice dessert. Try it and let me know how it tastes.
Until next time…Happy Parenting!